July 16th, 2009 by thetvchick
- Breaking Bad
- Big Love
No real surprises here, good nominations all around.
- Family Guy
- Flight of the Conchords
- How I Met Your Mother
- The Office
- 30 Rock
Family Guy has been nominated before, but it’s a little strange to see it in a category with How I Met Your Mother. Flight of the Conchords is a nice surprise.
Lead Actress in a Drama Series:
- Sally Field (Brothers and Sisters)
- Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer)
- Glen Close (Damages)
- Mariska Hargitay (Law and Order: SVU)
- Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men)
- Holly Hunter (Saving Grace)
My main girls are nominated again! Also, glad to see Holly Hunter up there for Saving Grace.
Lead Actor in a Drama Series:
- Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)
- Michael C Hall (Dexter)
- Hugh Laurie (House)
- Gabriel Byrne (In Treatment)
- Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
- Simon Baker (The Mentalist)
I had hoped for a 2 year in a row Gabriel Byrne nomination and I got it! Here’s to hoping he wins, but there is definitely some stiff competition.
Lead Actress in a Comedy Series:
- Julia-Louis Dreyfuss (The New Adventures of Old Christine)
- Christina Applegate (Samantha Who?)
- Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program)
- Tina Fey (3o Rock)
- Tony Collette (United States of Tara)
- Mary-Louise Parker (Weeds)
This category has some much-deserving funny ladies. Sarah Silverman is maybe the most surprising, but very well deserved. I’d love to see her or Toni Collette pull out a win!
Lead Actor in a Comedy Series:
- Jermaine Clement (Flight of The Conchords)
- Tony Shalhoub (Monk)
- Steve Carell (The Office)
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock)
- Charlie Sheen (Two and a Half Men)
- Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)
All very funny men…my guess would be Jim Parsons takes home the statue. He was so cute when Chandra Wilson announced his nomination.
Made for TV Movie:
- Coco Chanel
- Grey Gardens
- Into the Storm
- Prayers For Bobby
- Taking Chance
Grey Gardens! Also, Prayers For Bobby was pretty great, so I’m happy to see it nominated.
- Shirley MacLaine (Coco Chanel)
- Drew Barrymore (Grey Gardens)
- Jessica Lange (Grey Gardens)
- Sigourney Weaver (Prayers For Bobby)
- Chandra Wilson (Accidental Friendship)
It’s nice to see some great, seasoned actresses in this category.
- Kevin Kline (Cyrano de Bergerac: Great Performances)
- Brendan Gleeson (Into the Storm)
- Sir Ian McKellan (King Lear: Great Performances)
- Kevin Bacon (Taking Chance)
- Kiefer Sutherland (24: redemption)
- Kevin Brannagh (Wallander: One Step Behind)
Along the same lines, some incredibly actors in this category too!
Reality Competition Program:
- Amazing Race
- American Idol
- Dancing With The Stars
- Project Runway
- Top Chef
It’s nice to see the Bravo shows represented…I am pulling for one of those to win!
Outstanding Variety, Music, Comedy Series:
- Colbert Report
- The Daily Show
- Late Show with David Letterman
- Real Time with Bill Maher
- Saturday Night Live
Solid choices (pretty much the same as every year).
No supporting categories announced live, which is a little surprising, but here are more categories worth discussing:
Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series:
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock)
- Jack McBrayer (30 Rock)
- Kevin Dillon (Entourage)
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother)
- Rainn Wilson (The Office)
- Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men)
While I am thrilled for Neil Patrick Harris, I think he should have been nominated in the Lead Actor category. I’m obviously hoping he wins, because Barney Stinson is one of the best things to happen to television, but who knows. Jack McBrayer gets a very deserving nomination here as well…very happy for him.
Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series:
- Jane Krakowski (30 Rock)
- Kristen Chenoweth (Pushing Daisies)
- Kristen Wiig (SNL), Amy Poehler (SNL)
- Vanessa Williams (Ugly Betty)
- Elizabeth Perkins (Weeds)
I am thrilled to see two ladies from SNL nominated (I totally called Amy Poehler’s nomination). However, I’m sad that Jenna Fischer didn’t get a nod. There’s always next year!
Supporting Actress in a Drama Series:
- Cherry Jones (24)
- Rose Byrne (Damages)
- Sandra Oh (Greys Anatomy)
- Chandra Wilson (Greys Anatomy)
- Dianne Wiest (In Treatment)
- Hope Davis (In Treatment)
Dianne Wiest and Hope Davis were phenomenal on In Treatment…so here’s to hoping one of them wins (get it, hoping?)
Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series:
- Jon Hamm (30 Rock)
- Steve Martin (30 Rock)
- Alan Alda (30 Rock)
- Beau Bridges (Desperate Housewives)
- Justin Timberlake (SNL)
All of these actors are great, but I am most excited to see Justin Timberlake nominated. He is one of the best SNL hosts out there, and I’m glad to see him recognized.
Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series:
- Jennifer Aniston (3o Rock)
- Elaine Stritch (30 Rock)
- Gena Rowlands (Monk)
- Betty White (My Name is Earl)
- Tina Fey (SNL-Presidential Bash 2008)
- Christine Baranski (The Big Bang Theory)
I totally called it. Apparently, I was not out in left field when suggesting Tina Fey needed to be recognized somehow for her Sarah Palin performances. Way to go, TV Academy, you did well!
So overall, most nominations weren’t surprising, but there were a few good (and not so good ones). I was really excited to see Dr. Horrible’s Sing A Long Blog nominated as well as Motherlover (SNL–sequel to Dick In A Box). I look forward to Emmy night!