August 13th, 2010
Hello Flashback Friday Fans! I’ve got another top 5 for you this week…My Top 5 TGIF moments. If you were born in the late 70s/early 80s, TGIF was a mainstay of one’s weekly routine. If you didn’t know what happened to Michelle Tanner when you got into school on Monday, than you weren’t anyone. I can still remember cringing when 9:59 pm rolled around, and I knew 20/20 was just around the corner. Anyway, here’s the list!
5) Dinosaurs. Period. I’m not even going to pick a moment because they were all so good. I loved this show with the fire of a thousand suns when I was a kid. It even won a couple of awards people. I don’t know if I could handle too much of “Not the mama” now as an adult, but I loved hearing it as a kid.
4) Next up is a Family Matters moment. Now, generally, I actually couldn’t handle this show. I mean, I watched it every week of course, but it did not earn my love. I could easily play some My Little Ponies while I watched. However, when Urkel became Stefan was a most awesome moment(s). Stefan was so cool, and I didn’t have to listen to Urkel’s voice. Score. Bonus points generally speaking for Mother Winslow. Word.
3) Number 3 on my list is the Full House episode “Shape Up” when DJ starts crash dieting so that she can look great in a bathing suit at Kimmy’s Pool Party. I can still distinctly remember the sandwich that she fed to Comet instead of eating it. (In all honesty, that sandwich looked nasty anyway. Barely any meat, no condiments. What the heck?! It’s what my mom would call a “Bread Sandwich.” Feh.) But, I digress. After a few days of eating ice, DJ is working it at the gym and faints. Becky has a talk with her about staying healthy and all is well. If only all life’s problems could be wiped away in 22 minutes with the guidance of Rebecca Donaldson/Katsopolis.
2) Number 2 for me would have to be when Topanga and Cory first kissed. We just knew that Topanga was going to be a character we were going to see a lot more of. I was always just about the age of the characters on this show, so I felt really connected to this moment (although my first kiss was less awesome). Cory and Topanga remain for me one of my favorite TV couples.
1) OK people, my number 1 TGIF moment is actually for a show that was nowhere near my favorite at the time. However, it still gets my number 1 spot. It is the Perfect Strangers theme song. People, this song rocks. Well, maybe not rocks, but it does inspire me to sing it at the top of my lungs (off-key of course). Yes, Balki was rather hilarious, and there was some funny moments on the show for sure. But nothing can compare to standing in your parent’s 80s style family room and belting out “STANDING TALL, ON THE WINGS OF MY DREAMS…” Please see Little E’s dramatic reenactment for visual proof of the awesomeness.
So, there you have it, my randomly chosen top 5 TGIF moments. I have so many favorite moments, I had trouble picking (and these could change from day-to-day). I mean we didn’t even get to talk about Mr. Belvedere (also awesome theme song), Step-by-Step, Hanging with Mr. Cooper, Sabrina the Teenage Witch or the others. So, tell me what your top 5 would be!